Friday, May 10, 2013

There’s just something about German manila envelopes

We’ve all taken our share of wild rides on Wikipedia, but how many of yours have landed you here? I won’t go into detail as to how and why I found myself on a page dedicated to the manila envelope (that would bore you more than this blog post likely already will), but it happened, and here we are.

Everything seemed normal...

The thing that first caught my attention (besides learning that the envelopes are traditionally beige but sometimes other colors are used to differentiate categories of files), was the choice of envelopes they selected for the picture. A casual glance shows a pair of humble envelopes that look like the kind you’d use to send interoffice mail. These are, like most manila envelopes, beige in color. They also appear to contain little boxes where presumably you'd write down the intended recipient’s name, perhaps the name of sender and also the date.

until...

This all seemed pretty standard, but then I saw the caption. It reads: “Two manila envelopes from Germany.” My jaw dropped to the floor. I’ve seen regular ol’ manila envelopes before, but I’m quite certain I’ve never seen the ones from Germany. It all felt very surreal, but also super exciting. Like I was sneaking into a museum or something. More than anything I felt blessed by the experience. That by some crazy twist of fate I had stumbled across these German manila envelopes. It was a moment I’ll never forget.

No comments: